1046 W McIntosh Cir
Whitesburg, GA 30185
McIntosh Park Reserve is a cowgirl favorite. It is beautifully maintained and easy to ride. Friendly people hike and camp nearby. It is a must see and must ride!
The Reserve is named for William McIntosh, Jr., a prominent Creek Indian Leader and planter. The plantation was known as Lochau Talofau, which in English means “Acorn Bluff.” McIntosh lived in a modest home, a two-story log house with a central, open “dog run” passage on both floors. The house doubled as an inn for travelers. A reconstructed house is open to park visitors today.
In 1825, McIntosh signed the second treaty of Indian Springs. The treaty essentially sold all Creek lands in Georgia and Alabama to the United States government; McIntosh was allowed to keep his plantation in exchange for signing the treaty. The treaty had been opposed by the Creek National Council and it violated the Law, the Code of 1818. The Council ordered the execution of McIntosh and other signatories for having committed a capital offense against the government by ceding communal lands, and he was executed at his home in 1825. McIntosh’s single-plot, military gravesite may be found just across the road from the reconstructed house.